Thursday, October 16, 2008

Day 12

Love always trusts . . .
trusts -- to believe, put one's faith in, trust, with an implication that actions based on that trust may follow; entrust, committed.

believe -- same meaning as above

Definition of believe -- to have confidence in the truth, the existence, or the reliability of something, although without absolute proof that one is right in doing so.


Only if one believes in something can one act purposefully.

In Matthew a blind man wanted healing and Jesus asked him, "Do you believe I am able to do this?" (Matthew 9:28).
In Mark when the synagogue ruler was told that his daughter was dead, Jesus said, "Don't be afraid; just believe." (Mark 5:36).
Again in Mark a father of a boy who was possessed by a spirit said to Jesus, "But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us." Jesus replied, " 'If you can' ?" "Everything is possible for him who believes." The father immediately exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief ! " (Mark 9:14-24)

A Real Life Conversation

My daughter got her first tick one spring. She was frightened that a tiny bug had latched onto her and wouldn't let go.

I said to her, "Sweetie, I can take care of that."
Still, her face was full of worry. I got the tweezers and the rubbing alcohol ready. When she saw me with the tweezers she became tense and started crying.

Trying to soothe her I said, "Oh, don't be afraid."

Now, I believed I could get the tick out without much trouble. But she wasn't so sure. It actually broke my heart because I wanted my daughter to trust me. To believe that I could do what I said I could.

I told her, "Honey, I can do this!"

She said, "I know mommy, I'm just not so sure."

How it must break God's heart to hear this kind of conversation from me. He doesn't just want me to know what He can do; He wants me to trust, to believe that He will do what He says.

Trusting is hard because I am vulnerable, exposed. It is why when one is betrayed it can cut the heart deep down. However, I can see how it is an expression of true love when you do trust. My husband has never done anything for me not to trust in his love for me. Today I dare myself to trust in the love my husband has for me. To entrust to him my heart. When he says I am beautiful, I will smile and kiss him. When he says I love you, I will answer I'm glad because I love you too. I will believe.

Lord, in your abounding love, help me.

Scripture to meditate on today:

"Now it is required that those who have been
given a trust must prove faithful."
1 Corinthians 4:2

No comments: