Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Day 7

Love is not self-seeking . . .
self-seeking -- the seeking (to look for, try to obtain, desire to possess, strive for) of one's own interest or selfish ends.

selfish -- caring supremely or unduly for one's self; regarding one's own comfort, advantage, etc., in disregard, or at the expense, of those of others.

"Do nothing from factional motives [through contentiousness, strife, selfishness, or for unworthy ends] or prompted by conceit and empty arrogance. Instead, in the true spirit of humility (lowliness of mind) let each regard the others as better than and superior to himself [thinking more highly of one another than you do of yourselves]. Let each of you esteem and look upon and be concerned for not [merely] his own interests, but also each for the interests of others." (Philippians 2:3-4 Amp)

"I want" can be the two most destructive words spoken. In being self-seeking, I lose sight and sensitivity to the needs of others. I stop being sincere with my motives and the people I love are left feeling confused, hurt, and unloved. I am not expressing love when I am being self-seeking. Today I dare myself to show the love in my heart by being truly concerned about others' needs by paying attention to what interests them so that they will have no doubt how much I love and esteem them.

Lord, in your abounding love, help me.

Scripture to meditate on today:

"Incline my heart to Your testimonies and not to
covetousness (robbery, sensuality, unworthy riches.)"
Psalm 119:36 Amplified

No comments: