Sunday, October 5, 2008

Day 5

Love is not proud . . .
proud -- to puff up, inflate, arrogant

arrogant -- having or displaying a sense of overbearing self-worth or self-importance.

overbearing -- to treat in a domineering way, over-powering, repressing, insolent.

This is getting tough. In reading the definitions I am reminded of the many, many times I have behaved proudly. This ugly attitude was reserved mostly for my husband and I am ashamed of how I treated him. I let the lie that was fed to me take root and produce bad fruit.

The truth is:

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." (Galatians 2:20)

"Therefore (I ) do not let the sin reign in (my) your mortal body so that (I) you obey its evil desires." (Romans 6:12)

"For sin shall not be (my) your master because (I am) you are not under law but under grace." (Romans 6:14)

"You (I) have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness." (Romans 6:18)

I am not expressing love when I am proud. Today I dare myself to live as a child of light -- "for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth". (Ephesians 5:9)

Lord, in your abounding love, help me. Amen.

Scripture to meditate on today:

"Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought,
but rather think of yourself with sober judgment,
in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you."
Romans 12:3

No comments: