Thursday, October 9, 2008

Day 9

Love keeps no record of wrongs . . .
record -- to credit, count, reckon, regard, think, consider, realize

wrongs -- evil, wicked, wrong, bad, a perversion of what pertains to goodness; an evil thing can refer to any crime, harm, or moral wrong.

Like the memory of an elephant, I have held in my heart the hurts done to me, especially by my husband. I've used that knowledge against him as a reason why he can't be trusted or believed when he says he loves me.

The truth is:

"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
Romans 3:23

Holding past wrongs against my husband, or others, shows I have not forgiven. Wisdom says: "Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrongs." (Proverbs 10:12)

I am not expressing love by stirring up the past. Today I dare myself to pay no attention to wrongs done to me. I will not repay evil for evil. As the Word says: "He who covers over an offense promotes love." (Proverbs 17:9a)

Lord, in your abounding love, help me. Amen.

Scripture to meditate on today:

"Above all, love each other deeply, because
love covers over a multitude of sins."
1 Peter 4:8

No comments: