Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Day 14

Love always perseveres . . .
persevere -- to stay behind; to stand firm, endure, be patient; continue steadfastly; refuse to stop; persist. To bolster, sustain, or uphold. To maintain a purpose in spite of counter influences, opposition, or discouragement. To not abandon what is undertaken.

In order to persevere there needs to be a trial, something to push through. That's why it is said:
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance." (James 1:2-3)

We do not persevere in vain for it is written:
"Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him." (James 1:12)

I need to realize that my fight is not with my husband, or others. That is why it is said:
"Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." (Ephesians 6:11-12)

Humans are fallible. It is inevitable that we will all make mistakes. I will face a bad day, an insensitive word, unmet expectations, etc... -- but that is where perseverance is born. Perseverance comes from my faith in Jesus and God's unfailing love for me. When faced with opposition I need to stand firm behind Jesus so he can sustain me through it.

I am not expressing love when I do not choose to persevere. Today I dare myself to refuse to withhold the love in my heart for my husband, and others, despite what obstacles are set before me. I will put on the full armor of God and stand firm.

Lord, in your abounding love, help me. Amen.

Scripture to meditate on today:

"But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardships,
do the work of an evangelist, discharge all
the duties of your ministry."
2 Timothy 4:5

No comments: