Monday, October 6, 2008

Day 6

Love is not rude . . .
rude -- to act improperly, dishonorably, indecently.

indecently--unbecoming language, coarse

coarse--as in lacking in delicacy, lewd

lewd--preoccupied with sex and sexual desires, lust

lust--intense sexual desire or appetite, or obsessive desires

Whoa! What a "can of worms" this word opens up! I looked up indecently, which led me to coarse, which led me to lewd, which then led me to lust. All that from rude!

And, to my shame, I have shown them all. To be honest, I get confused by what is natural and normal and what is sinful desire. In trying to behave the right way I tend to go from one extreme to the other--frigid to excessive. In order to replace the lies with God's truth I need to understand what is good and of Him.

1 John 2:16 -- "For everything in the world--the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does--comes not from the Father but from the world."

I am to be moral -- upright, honest, straightforward, open.

I am to be virtuous -- goodness, that is consciously or steadily maintained, often in spite of temptations or evil influences.

I am to be honorable -- respectable, esteemed.

But I am not perfect --

Like Paul said: "When I want to do good, evil is right there with me." (Romans 7:21) "What a wretched (woman) man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?" (Romans 7:24)

Jesus is my rescuer! My hero who gave his life so that I could be free and live.

"Therefore, there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." (Romans 8:1)

I am not expressing love when I am being rude. Today I dare myself to behave in a way that is honorable and good. To trust and let Jesus be my rescuer when faced with temptations that want to show my love in a sinful way. To believe and trust in the grace and mercy that God gives to me through His holy, unwavering love.

Lord, in your abounding love, help me. Amen.

Scripture to meditate on today:

"Let us behave decently, as in the daytime,
not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality
and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy.
Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ,
and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature."
Romans 13:12-14

No comments: