Thursday, October 2, 2008

Day 2

Love is kind . . .
Kind implies a sympathetic attitude toward others, and a willingness to do good or give pleasure.

Synonyms: mild, benign, gentle, tender, compassionate, forebearing, tolerant, generous, agreeable, benevolent

Benevolent -- suggests charitableness and a desire to promote the welfare or happiness of others.

I've always thought of myself as a kind person, but to be honest with myself there isn't much fruit of that. Being kind and expecting something in return is not true kindness. True kindness requires a merciful disposition and I am quick to admit I have little mercy. If I feel that I've been offended, attacked, dealt with harshly or disrespectfully there is no show of kindness or forgiveness. However, not only does this attitude not show the love of Jesus, it also hurts me: "A kind man benefits himself, but a cruel man brings trouble on himself." (Proverbs 11:17)

So how do I receive the ability, the disposition, the characteristic of true kindness?

By relying on God's perfect love for me.


I am not expressing love when I am not showing kindness. Today I am daring myself to show kindness for no other reason than to express the love in my heart.

Lord, in your abounding love, help me. Amen.

Scripture to meditate on today:

"Be kind and compassionate to one another,
forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you."
Ephesians 4:32

No comments: