Saturday, October 4, 2008

Day 4

Love does not boast . . .
boast -- to say or tell things which are intended to give others a high opinion of one's self or of things belonging to one's self; to speak with excessive pride; to blow up, puff up, swell.

In trying to assure that others do not see me as inferior, I'm sure there have been too many times that I have been prone to boast. I've purposely used showy language to make myself feel superior. In my heart, I know I didn't intentionally set out to demean another person, however, intentions aside, the result is the same -- the person is not left edified, encouraged or feeling the love I say I have for them.

Ephesians 4:29 -- "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

I am not expressing love when I boast in myself. "May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ..." (Galations 6:14a) Today I am daring myself to speak words that build up and inspire others. I will be careful to give God all the glory, honor and praise for everything he did, does, and will do.

Lord, in your abounding love, help me. Amen.

Scriptures to meditate on today:

"If I must boast, I will boast of the things that
show my weakness."
2 Corinthians 11:30

No comments: