Thursday, October 23, 2008

Day 15

Love never fails . . .
never -- at no time; not ever; on no occasion; not at all; in no way; absolutely not; not in any circumstances; at no time, whether past, present or future; in no degree; not in the least.

fail -- to dwindle, pass or die away; end, limit; to prove deficient or lacking; to abandon, forsake; disappoint, prove undependable; to be wanting; to fall short; to become diminished; to decline; to decay; to weaken; to perish; to die.

Love is a not an emotion, it is a choice to be unconditional, without expectations of receiving anything in return. This is the kind of love that never fails. This is the love that can only come from the Father, through his son, Jesus Christ. For it is written:

"If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in him and he in God. And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him." (1 John 4:15-16)

To further illustrate this unfailing love using the definitions above:

Love at no time abandons.
Love in no way disappoints.
Love does not in any circumstances weaken.
Love on no occasion proves undependable.
Love will not ever die.

The scriptures tell me how to express love:

"My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you."
John 15:12

"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but
with actions and in truth."
1 John 3:18

"Be completely humble and gentle; be patient,
bearing with one another in love."
Ephesians 4:2

The scriptures tell me how wide, long, high and deep His love is:

"How great is the love the Father has lavished on us,
that we should be called children of God!"
1 John 3:1a

"For the Lord is good and his loves endures forever."
Psalm 100:5a

"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed,
yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken."
Isaiah 54:10a

Being able to love is not based on my ability, my strength, or my feelings:

"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the
strength of my heart and my portion forever."
Psalm 73:26

I only need to stand my ground and after having done everything, to stand:

"Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be
men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love."
1 Corinthians 16:13-14

An illustration for the love I will give to my husband:

"Place me like a seal over your heart,
like a seal on your arm;
for love is as strong as death,
its ardor unyielding as the grave.
It burns like blazing fire,
like the very flame of the Lord.
Many waters cannot quench love;
rivers cannot wash it away."
Song of Songs 8:6-7a

Today I dare myself to receive the love of God and to let that love go forth out of my heart toward others.

Lord, in your abounding love, help me. Amen.

Scripture to meditate on today:

"We love because he first loved us."
1 John 4:19

No comments: